Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 2, 2015

My favorite sportswriter of all time

When I was 17 years old, I took a freelance writing job with my local community newspaper. I got paid $10 per football game to cover the game for the paper. That launched me into a newspaper career that ended only recently, as I transition into a career in education as an English/Language arts teacher.

As I reflect back on my time as a fledgling sportswriter, I'm reminded of my favorite sportswriter of all time: the great Mitch Albom. For years, he was a sports columnist at the Detroit Free Press, and he won best sports columnist multiple years in a row, to the point that one person suggested -- only half jokingly -- to rename the award the Mitch Albom Award (which didn't happen, of course.)

In addition to his work in sports, Albom also wrote a great non-fiction book titled "Tuesday's with  Morrie," which recounted his relationship with a sociology teacher in college. He also wrote "The Five People You Meet in Heaven," a fictional story. Both were turned into TV movies.

After Albom, here's how I would round my top 5 of all-time favorite sportswriters.

No. 5: Jim Murray
No. 4: Frank DeFord
No. 3: Peter King
No. 2: Geoff Calkins
No. 1: Albom

Who are some of you favorite writers? (Sports or non-sports ...)

No comments:

Post a Comment